Tuesday, December 20, 2011

13 Questions with "Die Hard" Eddie Edwards!



"Die Hard Eddie Edwards is one of the top wrestlers in the world today.  A former ROH World Champion, ROH TV Champion, and ROH Tag Champion, Edwards is the only Triple Crown winner in Ring of Honor history.  Friday night at Final Battle, Edwards will try to regain the ROH World Title from the man who won it from him this past June, his partner in the American Wolves, Davey Richards.  Edwards sat down with Two Spot Monkeys to talk about his upcoming World Title Match, the American Wolves tag team, and so much more!

1. When did you begin and what led to you training under Killer Kowalski?
I began training in September of 2001 at Killer Kowalski's. Kowalski's had such a rich history and a great quality of guys who had gone through there that it was a no brainer for me.

2. What kind of athletic background did you have prior to your training beginning?
Growing up I played baseball and basketball but once I really got into wrestling that was my main interest.

3. What was your draw to pro wrestling and any early or favorite memories that you have?
Ya know it's hard to really pin point the one thing that hooked me. I think it was a mix of everything. the larger than life characters and the athletic competition. It was completely addicting to me, I'll always remember growing up and watching wrestling with my brothers and then of course doing my best to imitate what we saw.

4. You were very well established in the New England area, facing the likes of ROH alums Samoa Joe, AJ Styles and John Walters to name a few.  How did those matches and opponents prep you for your ROH debut in 2006?
At that time, facing those guys was a great opportunity for me to see if I could hang with them. they are some of the best around so for me to get a chance to wrestle them was really  the best way for me to get a taste of what it was like to be a part of Ring of Honor.

5. In ROH, from 2006 to 2008, you really had to earn your spot and eventually did do with Sweet and Sour Inc. What memories do you have of that time and working with the late Larry Sweeney?
Larry was such an amazing talent. He was a classic larger than life type character who really demanded everybody's attention. Working with him and being a part of Sweet and Sour really gave me my first true direction in the company and gave me a chance to be involved in some bigger things. I'll always remember the time with Sweet and Sour and will forever be grateful that I got the chance to work with Larry.

6. The next chapter of your ROH career was the birth of The American Wolves with Davey Richards. How did that pairing come about?
At the time me and Davey were on a tour of Pro Wrestling NOAH when we first started talking about it. Davey had approached me about it and of course I loved the idea. He really pushed for it to happen in ROH. We got our first chance to tag together on a show in England and that's when the Wolves were born.

7. What made your team with Davey so good?  It is arguably the best team in ROH history and with the the legacy left by other teams like Jay & Mark Briscoe, Kevin Steen & El Generico, Roderick Strong & Austin Aries, that is high praise.  How does that make you feel?  Also, any "dream matchups" that you've yet to have as the Wolves, that you hope to take part in some day?
It was our chemistry together. Every time we got in the ring together it was like we grew as a team. We knew what the other was thinking. It was awesome to be a part of something like that. Being compared to those teams is an amazing compliment. Those are some of the best tag teams there have ever been. For us to be mentioned in the same breath is a great accomplishment. I think me and Davey want to face every team around. Doesn't matter from where, we just want the best matchups possible

8. What did it mean to be the first ROH World Television Champion for ROH and be a "standard bearer" for the company on HDNet?
It was a huge step in my career. It really helped solidify me as a singles wrestler. Being the first TV champion is a huge honor, no matter what happens nobody will ever be able to erase my name from the history books. With the talent that has been a part of ROH its a huge accomplishment

9. 2011 has seen a year highlighted by three main rivals: Christopher Daniels, Roderick Strong and of course, Davey Richards.  How did and have these opponents prepared you to be the best and have a run as ROH World Champion during that time?  Are there any memories that stand out from those feuds?
All 3 of those guys are 3 of the absolute best in wrestling today. Every time I get in the ring with any one of them I know that I have to step my game up. They push me to make myself better. I have memories from all of them. I won the title from Roddy in the biggest win of my career. I had my first World Ttitle defense against Daniels. And at Best in the World I lost the World Title to my partner and best friend Davey. They were all very significant in my career.

10. What did winning the ROH World Title mean to you in March, where you also became the first and thus far, only Triple Crown Winner in ROH history?  Can describe the approach you took to that day and compare it to what you are doing now ahead of your World Title re-match against Davey?
Once again like winning the TV title, being the first in ROH  to become a triple crown champ is amazing. The talent that is currently on the roster and guys that have come and gone, being able to say I am the one and only is a great honor.  The day I won the title, I went in knowing that I had to be willing to do anything and everything to beat Roddy and I did. Leading up to Final Battle I am now in the same state of mind. At Best in the World maybe I wasn't ready to do absolutely anything, today I am!

11. What has been different about your preparation and training for the World Title Match at Final Battle? What has training with Dan Severn added to you?
It's been as much about my mental training as it has been the physical training, Dan has taught me that when I'm in that ring, there are no friends, there are no partners and there are no brothers. After the match, sure there can be, but while in the match, I have to do anything I can to win. I am ready and willing to do whatever I need to at Final Battle

12. 2011 saw you earn so many opportunities, both in ROH and abroad.  What goals still exist for Eddie Edwards as 2011 comes to an end, in 2012 and beyond?
I just hope I can keep this momentum going. I plan on winning the World Title this Friday and from there? Who knows what's in store but I'm ready for whatever it is

13. Where can fans follow you beyond ROH and the weekly television show on Sinclair Broadcast Group Networks?  Can they connect with you on Twitter or Facebook?
They can check out my website e-edwards.net and follow me on Twitter @theeddieedwards.  Thanks to all the fans out there!!

Two Spot Monkeys would like to thank Ring of Honor and especially Eddie Edwards for taking time to talk with us!  You can order Final Battle at www.gfl.tv, this Friday night!

Be sure to check back with Two Spot Monkeys on Thursday as we'll be posting our Final Battle preview as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment