Friday, September 14, 2012

Head 2 Head: WWE Night of Champions!










First and foremost, Two Spot Monkeys wants to send our prayers to Jerry Lawler and all of the WWE following the medical emergency of Monday night.  Get well soon, King!  Glad to hear you’re on the road to recovery!

We are back for another PPV pick’em and as a reminder Jim holds a narrow lead over Tom and with NFL season kicked off, the competitive nature of this should be tight over the final 4 pay-per-view events of this season.  Tom doesn’t want to don a Bears t-shirt and Jim certainly doesn’t want to sport a Lions t-shirt!  Please note, all picks made before Smackdown was taped on Tuesday night and possible matches added.

United States Title Match: Antonio Cesaro (c) vs. Pre-Show Battle Royal Winner

TOM: I am excited that Cesaro gets a shot on PPV.  I hope that they give him an opponent that really allows both to shine.  Rey Mysterio might be that guy the most and since I don’t see Cesaro losing the title anytime soon, Rey could really boost the credibility of the champion and look good doing it.  That’d be my wish, but it could be so many guys on the roster and Rey might get added to the likely Intercontinental Title Match .  No matter the opponent, Cesaro retains.

JIM:  I agree, Cesaro retains, and I also agree I hope he gets an opponent he can shine against.  I am kind of expecting Santino Marella to win the Battle Royal to get another shot at regaining his title.  Feels like “been there, done that”, but it’s what WWE seems to do best.  I’d love to see Christian, or a returning Evan Bourne, or even Hunico win a shot, but I still expect Marella, and I still expect Cesaro to retain.  The only way he loses is if Ryback wins the Battle Royal, which he most certainly should not!

Divas Title: Layla El (c) vs. Kaitlyn

TOM: I know Kaitlyn has been built-up recently, but not as strongly as you might wish for.  I don’t know that it matters because until WWE really wants to get behind the Divas division it tends to be wash, rinse, repeat.  Layla retains her title here.

JIM:  It seems clear that it’s Eve they are building to take the title from Layla, and there are even reports that Eve was supposed to win the Battle Royal, but blew the ending and Kaitlyn accidently won.  If so, they easily could have had Eve win the #1 contendership from Kaitlyn, but anways.  I actually like Kaitlyn, and think if they give her time, she can develop nicely.  That being said, this is not her time, Layla is the no brainer pick. 

World Tag Team Title Match: Kofi Kingston & R-Truth (c) vs. Daniel Bryan & Kane

TOM: This match was just finalized Monday night.  I am excited for it.  I have been highly entertained by the Daniel Bryan/Kane duo and everything they have been a part of.  Considering the story-focused nature of WWE, I really see WWE switching the titles here because it adds another layer to the sage of Bryan & Kane and I think it would really make for entertaining programming.  Daniel Bryan & Kane become tag team champions!

JIM:  So far, Tom and I just can’t seem to disagree, as I see Bryan and Kane walking out as tag champs as well.  I actually love the idea of their “team” finisher being Kane chokeslamming Bryan onto their opponents and getting the pin.  It works so well for their team, especially if Bryan never looks happy about it, even as they are champs.  It’s time for Kofi and R-Truth to move on anyways, so, Kane and Bryan become the “odd couple” tag team champs on Sunday night. 

Randy Orton vs. Dolph Ziggler

TOM: I often feel like a broken record when it comes to Dolph Ziggler.  The guy is far and away one of the top talents in WWE and week after week after week, he shines yet does not get the “real” chance to break through the glass ceiling.  Orton has been re-introduced to WWE slowly after his most recent suspension, but that accelerates here as I see him winning and going on to face the winner of the World Title Match – Randy Orton to become #1 Contender, but Dolph stays strong and of course has his MiTB briefcase to still cash in!

JIM:  I think Ziggler gets the pin here, as Orton is about ready to head out to film the new 12 Rounds movie, though it seems they may still use him for TV.  Ziggler needs to continue to be built so that when he does cash in, he has a good shot at getting over as champ. 

World Heavyweight Title: Sheamus (c) vs. Alberto Del Rio

TOM: I feel like I’ve been pulling for ADR to win the title from Sheamus FOREVER, when it reality it has not been much more than a few months.  Per the comments of Booker T on Monday, the Brogue Kick is now banned and that might be just enough to tip the scales away from Sheamus.  Something about this month gives me hope (?) or I am doing exactly when the definition of insanity states (repeating the same thing over and over, but expecting a different result…).  Del Rio finally unseats Sheamus here and moves into a title feud with Randy Orton.

JIM:  I’m with Tom in his belief that it’s about time they give Del Rio the title and move on, but honestly, I don’t know, I’ve got a gut feeling that Sheamus retains.  I don’t know why I have that feeling, but I do.  Maybe it’s that I don’t trust them to do the thing that makes the most sense.  Banning the Brogue Kick could do the trick, but man, how stupid is it that they are banning it?  I mean, it’s not like it’s an illegal choke hold.  When did kicking a guy in the face become illegal in pro wrestling?  That’s insane.  So, just for that stupidity, I see them having Sheamus “overcome the odds” again and keep the title, though it’s getting to be time to get it off of him I do think. 

WWE Title: CM Punk (c) vs. John Cena

TOM: This is and has become again such an incredible rivalry.  I am probably most excited for this match because we’ve had Paul Heyman added to the mix with Punk and I think fans are just really going to get behind Cena trying to capture the title.  Punk is re-igniting his heel roots and he is making every title match must see because people are going to either want to see him retain and see how long it can go or not miss the wrestler and match where he finally loses.  Punk retains and remains on the road to The Rock at Royal Rumble.

JIM:  Well, we’re only going to differ on 2 matches, because I think that Punk absolutely has to retain here and go on to the Rumble in January, where I expect he may lose to The Rock.  I’m always leery of picking against Cena in a title situation, as they love putting that belt back on him when they can, and I wouldn’t be totally shocked to see him win it quick here and drop it back at Hell in the Cell, (playing up the winning it in his hometown ploy).  But, honestly, they just have to go with Punk here.  Don’t they?  Punk retains, probably with help from Paul Heyman. 

So, there it is, our look at Night of Champions, we’ll be back next week with our React for Night of Champions among other topics (perhaps a look at Chikara’s King of Trios?  I sure hope so!).  Have you “liked” us on Facebook yet?  If not, click HERE to get to our page and like us!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment