Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A tribute to my friend, Paul Kurtzman




Tom and I were both deeply saddened this weekend to learn of the sudden death of our dear friend, Paul Kurtzman (Paul is on the left in the picture above, which was taken as he and our friend Larry joined me at a Cubs spring training game in the spring of 2010).  Paul was a great wrestling fan (and for a short time, even a worker), but more than that, to both Tom and I, Paul was a great friend. Tom will be here later with his own thoughts on Paul, but I wanted to write up my feelings as well as we both process this loss.

Paul was one of those guys who when I was going to an event, and I heard Paul would be there as well, I genuinely got more excited for the event, because the chance to hang out with him was that important to me.  A number of us just spent a week together in Las Vegas a month ago, and Paul was a late addition to that group, but I remember when I saw he was coming, I had a feeling of such happiness that I would get to see my friend, and get to introduce my fiancé to him as well, who was on the trip as well.  As my fiancé Katie and I spent time with him in Las Vegas, she became quickly fond of him as well, and we were so looking forward to having him here when we get married next fall.  We are so sad that he won’t physically be with us, but know he’ll be looking down with that great big smile of his. 

If you are one of the lucky ones who knew Paul, you know how much this loss hurts.  If you didn’t know Paul, think of the kindest, most genuine person you know.  That was Paul, and then some.  I can’t say enough good things about him, and as I try to type them, it all seems too cliché for how much I cared for him, and I know he did for me as well, so, I will leave it with these thoughts.

Paul leaves behind a loving wife, 3 sons, 1 daughter, a grandchild, and a host of friends and family who will miss his laughter, his smile, and his wisdom. 

Paul, selfishly, I want you back here with us.  There isn’t much in this world right now that I want more.  But I know you are in a better place, and I know I will see you again.  Rest in peace my friend, you will be deeply missed.  You already are.

2 comments:

  1. Well said Jim. Paul is always going to be remembered fondly. Your picture of him with his trademark sarcastic look is among the many things I'll always remember about Paul.

    ReplyDelete