Monday, July 11, 2011

Looking at the Raw Money in the Bank Match


Hey all, our apologies, the summer is insanely busy for both Tom and myself, so we’ve had to not post as often as we’d like here at Two Spot Monkeys.  But, we’re still popping in from time to time, and hope to get back to a more regular schedule in the very near future, and also hope to have another interview in the future, as it seems the Gabe Sapolsky interview was well received! 

Today, I want to take a moment and look at the Raw Money in the Bank Ladder Match this Sunday at the Money in the Bank PPV.  I will be back later in the week with a look a the Smackdown MiTB matchup.  Here’s the look at Raw’s Matchup, and each competitor (in no particular order)! 

First things first, before the competitors, this could be a situation where the Money in the Bank winner cashes in on Sunday night.  I could absolutely see them have CM Punk win the title from Cena, and then have the Money in the Bank winner cash in and defeat Punk for the belt.  Remember, McMahon said if Punk “left with the title” he’d fire Cena.  So, you could do the angle where by the winner getting the title, they effectively save Cena’s job, as well as winning the title.  Something to think about for sure!

Now on to the competitors!

Alberto Del Rio – Gotta be looked at as one of the three heavy favorites in this match.  Everyone expects Del Rio vs. Cena at Summerslam.  So…could Del Rio be the one who wins the title after Punk defeats Cena?  If he does, will we see Del Rio as Mr. McMahon’s new “chosen one”, since he will have saved the title from leaving WWE?  Could be an interesting way to go.  One thing is for sure, I won’t be shocked in the least if Del Rio gets the briefcase, as I expect him to be WWE Champion before the year is out.

The Miz – The Miz winning two years in a row, on CM Punk’s last night (the only other guy to win two in a row) would be fitting and would put The Miz back in the main event mix.  However, while I would list him as one of the three favorites, I still think his issue with Riley has legs for a while, so I doubt he gets it.

Alex Riley –  They obviously like what they’ve seen from Riley, and so do I.  Riley could win it next year, but at this point, no chance I see him winning it this year.  I could see him getting really close to having it in his possession though, and having The Miz ruin his chances or something.

R-Truth – Truth seems to be the other of the top three favorites to me, but I expect him to be close and have Kingston or someone stop him, leading to him talking more about the conspiracy against him.  I do hope they give Truth at least a one to two month run with the title sometime this year though.  He’s earned the right.

Kofi Kingston – Kingston is a guy that they really need to get behind, but I don’t see it happening here.  He has the skill set needed to be WWE Champion, and he is a really effective promo when he needs to be.  Kingston should be in the favorites category if you ask me, but instead, he’s in the “hey, he’s going to do something really cool in the match, but has no shot at winning” category at this point.

Evan Bourne – Another one who will do a cool spot or two off of the ladder, but no way in the world he’s got a shot at winning this match.  I just don’t see Bourne as WWE Champion…ever.

Rey Mysterio – Always a dark horse in these things, but he certainly seems to have been downplayed lately and not a completely featured guy, so I don’t expect him to win it here.  But, if I was ranking these in order, he’d come in fourth on my “most likely” list behind Del Rio, The Miz, and Truth.

Jack Swagger – Talk about a guy they just totally dropped the ball with.  Won Money in the Bank at Wrestlemania over a year ago, had a forgettable title reign (because they booked him like crap), and this year was the “trainer” for Michael Cole at ‘Mania, and lately has been embroiled in a feud with Bourne.  I would love to see a return to the top of the card for Swagger, but I just don’t see it anytime soon.

Come back later in the week and check out my thoughts on the Smackdown Money in the Bank match!

No comments:

Post a Comment