Monday, February 14, 2011

When There Is So Little Time to Watch Wrestling, How Can I Write About It?

I certainly meant to return here sooner than today.

First a couple orders of past business:

1. Congratulations to The Green Bay Packers. It was a really good Super Bowl. I am very happy for Charles Woodson (former Michigan Wolverine). I will be interested to see my Detroit Lions test themselves twice next year against the reigning and defending champions.

2. I have had the two newest Dragon Gate USA DVD's Untouchable 2010 and Way of The Ronin for little more than 10 days, but have not had the chance to watch them like I would want to. I actually did watch Untouchable but was doing other things at the same time, so I don't feel that it would be fair to give an opinion on it until a viewing with my full attention devoted to it

That brings me to the theme of today's post - time.

Being a husband and father of 3 (soon to be 4), I find the time that I can devote to watching wrestling and MMA often very challenged. Clearly, I am up to that challenge or I likely would have dropped out of being a fan a long time ago. Now, I certainly don't write that because I expect any reader who comes across this to be sympathetic to my plight. I share it just simply because I think it is a challenge not limited to just me. We all have different passions and avenues to explore hobbies and recreations. We have ways we are committed to time with family, friends and loved ones. The challenge can be finding time to fit in time to watch what we want to, uninterrupted. With the bulk of what is available from wrestling companies I follow being delivered on DVD, the challenge is increased in finding that time to dedicate and creating regular viewing habits. It can however be done and hopefully in the weeks and months to come, you'll see that challenge be met through the thoughts and opinions I share.

Quick hits:

~About the only regular WWE TV I watch is Superstars because I have very limited cable. Quit laughing! I do really like what WWE puts out on this show for the most part and it does give wrestlers a good platform that don't get the same time on RAW or Smackdown. I gotta say though, that last week I was crushed. Before I tell this story, you need the backstory.

I had the great opportunity to attend a FCW (Florida Championship Wrestling) house show last summer when I was in Florida. It was a really good show and I enjoyed it with some great friends, include my fellow Spot Monkey, Jim. In the main event, Trent Baretta teamed with his DudeBuster partner, Caylen Croft. That team, who had already exhausted their WWE push, was just great as part of a 4 team elimination match. Above all, Trent Baretta really impressed and I walked away thinking and arm chair booking all of the great things that could be done with him. If you are not familiar, please check out this great video, featuring The DudeBusters. That is a great song too. All props to essarios187 for that.

The main event for Superstars was Jack Swagger vs. Trent Baretta...and when I saw that I was immediately pumped. My expectations were SO high.

Then, the match began at 5 minutes to the hour and end of the show. The realization that this would not be the match I wanted it to be played out before my eyes. Disappointed might not be the right word, but bummed sure is. I think it realistic for fans to have expectations and hopes to see wrestlers do well. It is just a shame when you know that the potential is there and is not given the full opportunity to be displayed.

~I was able to watch 95% of TNA's Against All Odds PPV last night. Colored me unimpressed. As a fan, I feel that TNA has burned their bridge far too many times with me as a fan. I find it challenging to find their product entertaining when what I see on PPV could likely mean nothing by the next IMPACT! TV show. I cannot recall any other form of entertainment doing that or following that kind of model, where you change direction so many times and it feels like you are in a spinning vortex and don't know which direction your going in. Have I seen the last of TNA? Likely no, but I am sure glad I was hosted by a friend versus having to pay for the show.

~I am expecting some new ROH DVDs in the next few days, including Tag Title Classic II pitting The Kings of Wrestling v. The American Wolves. Once I get the DG USA watch down, that is on deck.

Tonight on RAW, the WrestleMania 27 host will be announced. All signs seem to point to "The Rock" Dwayne Johnson being that person, I am think it is a great move. It would definitely be a boost to a WrestleMania card that should begin to come together soon, yet isn't setting the world on fire in it's rumored form. I will look forward to discussing that and more the next time around! Until then, take care of yourselves and feel free to post a comment!

1 comment:

  1. That Rock promo was something else. Amazing how a guy goes away for seven years and laps everyone in the promo department his first night back in.

    ReplyDelete